Friday, July 24, 2009

Of future Brides and Rites...

Today was my day! Or what we call in France, my fête as indicated in the Roman Catholic calendar of saints- mind you, it is not to be confused with the local "bonne fête" being an equivalent to "happy birthday" for French Canadians here.

Jour de Fête (The Big Day), directed by Jacques Tati - 1949

But strangely enough, tomorrow is my day, again! Tomorrow, I am taken on a trip to celebrate what is more commonly called a bachelorette party in Canada, or the "enterrement de vie de jeune fille" in France. Hum, I didn't feel the urge to have any, really, as my years as a young maiden or even as a Catherinette are long gone but I eventually accepted...

A vestal virgin, detail of an engraving by Sir Frederick Leighton- c.1880
In Roman times, the Vestal Virgins remained celibate for 30 years on penalty of death.


Under the express condition, though, that I would be spared the sleazy paraphernalia so typical to the parties I have seen around...meaning, pub crawling orgies exhibiting the 'Bachelorette', performing her pantomime and wearing all the props ranging from the veil planted on her head to the T-Shirt with an inspiring message printed on it, all this while watching the savvy contortions of Chippendale strippers.
Bachelorette tops... Not for me.

Yes, I accepted because I trust my girl friends! How beautiful is that? And also because I know it does not mean the end of my life as an individual who craves her moments of solitude or of sisterhood. I will have many more nights out with my girls even as a married wife! Now, this being said, I am really looking forward to celebrating the end of a certain idea of singlehood and to undergoing this sort of ancient ritual. I am well aware that this secular ceremony will take me a step closer to the wedlock and that my wedding will mark a significant change in both my personal and social status as another and bigger rite of passage.

Signing The Register (Detail) by Edmund Blair Leighton

I am going to be introduced to my future married life by a wonderful trio of friends, namely Jen, Lara and Tess. My special request was just to have a picnic outside of the city, and they have been kind enough, as I am sure relieved too, to comply with my desires ! After consulting each other, they came up with a delightful idea. Tomorrow, we'll embark on a journey to Waterloo's St Jacob's Market - how appropriate when you think that my future married name is Jacob...

The real McCoy...in the old Mennonite fashion. I love it already!

2 comments:

Thierry Perrin said...

Completement zappé ta fete Krikri, des bisous d'excuses gorgés de soleil, de vitamine et de musique. :)

Thierry Perrin said...

La signature ne va pas t'aider beaucoup. Derriere ce pseudo qui n'est pas le mien.. titi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...