Thursday, August 13, 2009

Methinks Paper Things...

My finds in treasure hunting...

That might sound a bit trivial to you, but on my wedding preparations list I had to deal with the placement cards. I was then faced with a big dilemma: flat placement cards or folding ones? As I decided to go shopping at Paper Things for good stock paper and the placement cards in question, I took all the time needed to check all the possibilities, flat or folding, plain and elegant or cheaper cards of lower quality with an ugly silver frame...Hmm, it took me some time to weigh the pros and cons, not only because I am a finicky aesthete but also because we have reached a point where the budget has to be kept tight. I eventually decided against the cheap folding ones and went for the very reasonably priced flat ones from Crane & Co., sober and elegant- the best deal, I could get really. I also took a pack of numbered table cards, they are just perfect! We don't need to do anything to them, just display them on their discreet silver holders and they will exude their subtle charm...

'The Whirl' by Karen Hirshan, 1994- courtesy Craig Krull Gallery, Santa Monica

We are ready to be caught in The Whirl! Here again, this picture is from a postcard that we received from my good friend, Françoise, to celebrate our upcoming wedding. Do you remember the postcard with the bride and groom on a tight rope? That was another stunning one ( see my first post, entitled An easy Step under the Wedlock label) from Françoise. Yes, we might go for the 'whirl'. We will decide over the weekend.
Good, now is time for action! With our wedding taking place in France, my future spouse and myself have been planning, devising and doing everything we could from across the Atlantic, and, believe me, it sometimes seemed a bit immaterial or remote... But fortunately enough, there is the internet, browsing the websites of wedding businesses has proved very helpful to choose our tableware, flatware, flowers, dragées (traditional candies in France), cakes and pièce montée, etc. I just had to click and forward my choices to my sister, who, by the way, is one of my two amazing maids of honour. As for the catering, my elder brother (who happens to be my godfather too) is in control. The food is going to be good! He and his staff will cater the wedding. So far, both families have proved truly amazing, always resourceful and helpful. We are very lucky!

Examples of Dragées or almond-coated candies

Le saviez-vous?: "Les Grecs anciens et les Romains dégustaient les amandes trempées dans du miel et des épices. C’est au XIIIe siècle que sont fabriquées les premières dragées enrobées de sucre et vendues par les apothicaires pour les femmes enceintes. Symbole d’abondance, de fécondité et de longévité, elles se retrouvent à l’occasion des fêtes familiales. Lors d’un mariage, on les offre aux invités en souvenir de ce jour exceptionnel."(Marie-Claire online)

Pièce montée with the couple on top, what a treat - what a feat!

Well, let's get back to the seat placements. We did it last weekend, and it actually made us take another significant step. Although all and sundry warned us it might be tedious to work on the placement, it turned out to be very exciting! It was easy on us. There are no enmities in our families and friends, so the biggest gamble was to bet on which table will have the more fun...I also enjoyed the meticulous task of taking down every single name on the placement cards, with the best fountain pen we have. They are now sorted out in envelopes according to their table numbers. The preparations haven't been as material since last May, when we sent the invites. You should have seen us feeling our letter-pressed invites, just out from the amazing Lunar Caustic Press (I do recommend this letterpress printer to anyone who is Toronto-based, the best!); it was emotional. I think I suffer from a case of paper sensitivity...

Our very formal wedding invites, designed by my beau

A reply card- illustrated with a Venetian theme by one of our guests, Julien Leydis.

Our next two weekends will be devoted to table cards, menus and our impromptu afternoon concert programmes. Paper-thin things. I can touch them, feel them, this is tangible truth! As a matter of fact, the preparations are now becoming more tangible for us...They'd better be as the whole thing is taking place in about a month's time. September 19th is drawing closer. Just 2 or 3 paper things to sort out, and we will be all set!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...